Wednesday, August 26, 2015

A little something old. Fandome wise.

How do you like my new pillow/cover? 



Finally got this very old project completed, based on a Garfield calendar I got when I was in my last year of grade school. Yup there it stayed all those years in the back of my little yellow plastic basket collecting years of dust together with other odds and ends of threads and maybe a few dreams too. The other half of the pillow still stuck in my head. Well the tiger patterned cover part. Anyways yeah 1988 all the way to 2015 and finished it a few months ago actually. Just never got around to showing it. The majority of the cross stitching was done on the cover but there was just a few spots that needed to be completed plus the cover. I had plenty of the tiger material left over when I actually had a costume made also in the same year as 88.
Oh the reason why I first made it was well, I was stuck in bed for a few weeks with the chicken pox. Well, more weeks then what was required to recover. That was because it was also a very traumatic time and year. It was just my luck that my mother had yet another bout with manic depression. It was horrible. I had to endure lots of strange behaviour and in later repeating years, all kinds of strange actions, sometimes scary and shouting from her, but that's another story. Then of course there was grade school its self. That always was a real hell hole to me.
I was a kid. Who in the world would stand up, be on my side and protect me from all this craziness? No one. No man as in humans anyways. ;) It was all tough nuggies for me.
Actually I did have for awhile my former next door neighbour and best friends but that welcome was busted after awhile. So much for knowing them since I was a toddler. So much for best friends forever. Life goes on. :_(  *broken heart*

Note;
Please note that my mother's issues are no longer that intense since her hysterectomy she had a number of years ago. That and the fact she now sticks to her meds which is just right for her needs, her and ours walk with Jesus Christ. But she still has her occasional weirdness. Don't we all.

Since being stuck in bed for so long, I had already completed other projects and ran out of the pre-designed needle point and cross stitching stuff. (Some of it hangs on the walls to this day. ) I needed more stuff to occupy and distract me instead of vegetating in front of the TV all day so I made my own design hence that's where the Garfield calendar came it.
Back then I was a pretty big fan of Garfield and besides the comics I was lucky enough to get, I tried to get at least one stuffed Garfield. But that was hard since I had no one to gift those to me. That was pretty much common for me. So many times I would make my own stuff based on my favourite things.
Yeah I eventually managed to get a teenie stuffed Garfield from someplace and an Odie from a Mc Donald’s.
I have those to this day sitting in my bedroom on display on an old handmade record (record player) desk I like to call it. 

This pic obtained from an Ebay user/seller who was selling the calendar. But yeah again I have the calendar myself. Just got too lazy to scan my own. Love this calendar. :)

The illustration I used for the project. Image from someone else's blog.

So yeah here it is my cute Garfield pillow based on a favourite scene from a Garfield Year of the Party 88 calendar. Hopefully I won't have any other really old projects to complete. But hay at least I don't give up on things. That has to count for something. Am I right? 

 What the back of the pillow looks like.
Various pics of my kitty Meetso with the pillow. 
He decided to look out the window for any unsuspecting potential victims. Aka tasty little morsels. ;)
 Hay? where's my face on a pillow?

Pillow featured soon on my personal web site as well. 

No comments: