Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Leopard patch

   I have this purse and I only had it for a few years. This is the type of purse that's a bit on the pricey side of things and I really didn't feel like getting rid of it so soon. So I did a bit of exploring to see what type of patches are out there. Didn't exactly like what I saw. Lots and lots of cheep looking Chinese made patches. Probably only worth 50'cents or lower but sold at a 5 bucks a pop or higher at a fabric shop. Looked in other stores too but the selection was even worse. So I decided to make my own. I first looked at what I had, did some thinking, some more exploring at craft stores est and then looked at my purse some more. Thought to my self. Lets make paw prints and a lounging leopard. I mean why not? I already had found a discarded umbrella cover I saved in my junk box with that same theme to cover up some buckles that always seemed to come apart on my purse. 
So I quickly drew up a cute lounging leopard on some tracing paper. I used tracing paper or parchment paper to first plot out all those holes on my purse. So that's why the leopard is lounging the way it is. The paw prints were for the holes that weren't so close together. So anyways I drew my leopard pattern on the pattern of mapped out holes. Then I found parts of some old jeans. They were remnants that I also saved earlier for these types of purposes too. Comes in very handy. 
I then drew out some paw prints and that leopard on to the scraps of jean materials. I ended up drawing out 3 paws and the leopard. Later I painted them up with some acrylic fabric paint using a regular old brush. I used mostly browns and yellow. Nothing fancy because that would come later. I ended up purchasing some fake plastic jewellery findings mostly shiny gold colour and another sheet of multi coloured gems cause I couldn't just get the right green ones that were the right size for the eyes. Just as well I can save those for another project. So anyways I sewed them all on my now coloured up patches. When finished I gave them a good clear coating for added protection. Later pilfered some "Shoe Glue" from my dad and then cut off the remaining jean material that remained on my embellished shapes. I find "Shoe glue" really great and handy stuff to patch on patches on to things. 
And here you have the finished product. Hope you like it. 😊


 Some different views of my embellished purse with the finished patches.

No comments: